The most dangerous experiment you have done?
- MemberNovember 24, 2020 at 16:50
Ok, not chemistry, but involving chemicals! At university I was working on measuring droplet sizes for sprays pumped into vacuum chambers. The purpose of this was to find an ideal nozzle for a laser based plasma system. The laser we were using was a mere 4W and given its open beam and the fact that it was green made it a pretty dangerous beastie to work with. What made it doubly dangerous was the fact that the liquid we were pumping into the vacuum chamber was ethanol, and it was being injected using high pressure nitrogen that would sometimes pop the top off our ethanol canister, launching ethanol vapour into the room. Add to the danger by this being a typical university basement lab in which ventilation is something that happens somewhere else, and there we were operating a high powered laser in a room saturated with ethanol vapour, getting increasingly inebriated as time went by! Fun times.
- OrganizerNovember 27, 2020 at 08:31
- MemberFebruary 27, 2021 at 21:04
Dangerous for the participants.. We were attempting to fluorescently label lung immune cells in vivo to determine which were lung-resident before vaccination vs those which infiltrated after the vaccine. For this, we administered a dye (CFSE) intranasally under anaesthesia, but did not predict how the anesthetized gag reflex would react to the solvent used for the dye (DMSO, pretty nasty stuff). Instead of inhaling the dye, the participants swallowed it instead, and ended up peeing florescent green :/
- OrganizerFebruary 27, 2021 at 21:22
I once was a participant in an experiment in which they injected me with flourescent dye. Was peeing yellow markers for a full day afterwards.
The aim was to test for reaction to gluten of the stomach / duodenum lining. Had to eat completely gluten free for three months before and keep a food diary. Then they went in with an endoscope and applied gluten directly on tbe mucosa. For some reason they needed the fluorescent dye.
- MemberMarch 3, 2021 at 23:10
When working in the security sector, engineering a device to detect explosives, we tested the device at Shrivenham with real explosives, which we subjected to forms of stress that I wasn’t sure had been done before! Small amounts, but still…
- OrganizerMarch 3, 2021 at 23:12
?? Explosives are always scary! Especially since the experts are generally completely insane and never seem to take the situation seriously….
- MemberMarch 3, 2021 at 23:30
Ah I was comfortable with these experts. Cranfield University in Shrivenham is the UK department of defence university and they were very serious about safety.
Also we had to have a safety drill first. There were two audible alarms; one to tell you to gtfo asap and the other to tell you to close all windows and stay inside. But one day the alarm went off and noone knew whether to stay or go! ?
- OrganizerMarch 3, 2021 at 23:40
- MemberMarch 29, 2021 at 00:18
I was very fond of chemistry in school and had a chemistry teacher who supported me (even got me into the chemistry olympiad twice, but I did not get very far). School also had a really good lab.
So when I was around 16, I had already done quite a few of the standard syntheses, a little bit of trinitroglycerin, trinitrocellulose, ammonium picrate, but I also liked to synthesize substances that smelled nicely, cannot remember which ones exactly. For some reason I decided I want to make PCl5 (not something you should smell, ever!). My teacher just nodded and insisted I get familiar with the emergency procedure of how to do a tracheal section and shove a Bic pen into somebody’s trachea, then let me go about it mostly by myself!
I produced quite a bit which was chucked into a desiccator and was sitting there for I can’t remember how long because nobody wanted to get near it or open it 🙂
Another synthesis I remember fondly, was Butylmercaptan which I hid in another classroom as a prank. It was only a tiny amount but still probably a few orders of magnitude above the max. allowed exposure limits of today (which is only a few ppm).
Everyone survived .
- This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Johann Petrak.
- OrganizerMarch 29, 2021 at 07:32
Wow! AHHAHA 😱😂
Log in to reply.